This profile provides an in-depth look at your blood sugar level. If you have diabetes, it means that you have too much glucose in your blood. This profile includes the HA1C test which provides a comprehensive look at your blood sugar levels during the past three months.
Anyone who wants a comprehensive snapshot of blood sugar control. Over time, high blood sugar can lead to serious health problems if it is not managed properly.
- A normal HA1C level typically ranges from 4.5 to 6 percent.
- If your result is 5.7 to 6.4 percent, this is considered prediabetes and indicates you have a high risk of developing diabetes in the future.
- A level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests often indicates a diabetes diagnosis.
- If you have already been diagnosed with diabetes, a level of 7 percent or less is a typical target with treatment.
- For someone with uncontrolled diabetes, an HA1C level of above 8 percent is not uncommon.
If your test results are abnormal, you should follow up with a health care provider.
There is no preparation for this test.
Some of these tests could indicate a serious health issue. If your results are critical for any of these tests, we will contact you as soon as we have your results no matter what time of day or night it is.
For more information on this test, go to labtestsonline.org.